In 1789, with the death of Robert van Hambroeck, the house became uninhabited. It was rented out for a few years. In 1804 the house was sold and demolished. The only reminder of the once so impressive manor is a part of the moat.
Mrs. C.M. Hänisch ten Cate, bought the Weleveld estate as an investment in 1908. Nowadays Mrs. Carleen Kwint-Hänisch ten Cate and her husband Eric live in a converted farmhouse annex hunting lodge, called 'Jachthuis'.
History of Weleveld estate
The history of Weleveld goes back to 1244. Bernard and Otto van Weleveld built the first havezate, a manor, in 1300.
The estate prospered and many Van Welevelds held important political positions in the region. Weleveld's apogee was in the 16th and 17th century with Sweder II Schele van Weleveld as the most prominent inhabitant. Decline set in at the end of the 17th century. The castle was demolished in 1804, only the inner moat still exists. However, since 1998, after more than two centuries, a new owner and her husband reside again on the estate, which now comprises 150 hectares.
As Weleveld had not been inhabited for such a long time, no large avenues or formal parks were ever created. This has enabled the original medieval ground plan to be preserved, with winding roads, patches of forest, and small fields and meadows surrounded by hedgerows and two streams run trough Weleveld. The estate is classified under the Natuurschoonwet (Estates Act 1928).
Mrs. Carleen Kwint-Hänisch ten Cate was a medical doctor until she went abroad with her husband Eric, a diplomat. They married in 1965, their son Menzo was born in March 1968, just before they left for Copenhagen, where daughter Aurelia was born in 1969. After having lived in nine different countries all over the world, they retired in 1998.
Her grandmother, Mrs. C.M. Hänisch ten Cate, descendant of a well-known Almelo textile family, bought Weleveld as an investment in 1908. Carleen and Eric live on the estate in a converted farmhouse annex hunting lodge, 'Jachthuis'.