As is the case with the castle, the landscaping of the gardens has been created over many generations. Alongside the castle there is a garden in the French neo-baroque style. The orangery to be found here dates, in its current form, to the first half of the 19th century, and serves as a winter shelter for many tropical and subtropical plants, including some 300-year-old orange trees. The 'rock garden' is situated next to the French garden, and is the personal creation of the last Lady of Twickel, Baroness van Heeckeren Van Wassenaer. In this Victorian garden, she liked to experiment with unusual plants and was inspired by the English landschape gardener Gertrude Jekyll. The landscaping of the surrounding estate dates from about 1790. In 1830 or thereabouts, this romantic scene was extended by J.D. Zocher. And in 1888 Edouard Petzold made his mark on the extensive grounds around the castle. Recently, a restoration project is completed, based on a design by the well known Dutch landscape artist Michael van Gessel.
Next to the gardens are the walled kitchen gardens and a farmmuseum.
In front of the gated castle park is the overpark. The avenues system dates back to the 17th century. This park was created by landschape architects Zocher and Petzold. The acces to this park is free. It is exceptionally rich in bird species. The old trees with lots of dead wood lure all kinds of woodpeckers. You can also see the nuthatch, the beautiful Kingfischer and great yellow wagtail.
Download the brochure to find out more about Twickel Estate.