Twickel Castle, near Delden, is located, for almost seven centuries in the middle of a beautiful estate, reaching out over five parishes. The estate in the East of the Netherlands, near the German border covers more than 4000 hectares and includes 150 farms with agricultural land and meadows, interspersed with moorland, fens and woods. The oak woods have long been famous, not just because of their beauty, but also because of the quality of the wood they produce. The characteristic farms can be recognised by their black-and-white shutters.
History of Twickel
Between 1347 and 1953, Twickel was in the possession of successive members of the same family: Van Twickelo, Van Raesfelt, Van Wassenaer and Van Heeckeren van Wassenaer. Because it was also possible for the estate to be inherited through the female line, it always remained in the family. In 1953, Baroness Van Heeckeren van Wassenaer-Countess of Aldenburg Bentinck made over the entire estate to the Twickel Foundation. After her death in 1975, her other possessions, inclusing estates in Germany and the provinces of Gelderland and Zuid-Holland in the Netherlands, together covering some 2000 hectares, were added to the Foundation. When she set up the Foundation, Baroness Van Heeckeren determined that the castle should remain inhabited. For this reason, her second cousin, Roderik Count zu Castell and his family are presently residing in a section of the castle.
Since 1953 the Twickel estate has been placed in the Twickel Foundation. Mr Egbert Jaap Mooiweer is the current commissioner of this extensive property.