Heerlijkheid Mariënwaerdt estate
The estate Heerlijkheid Mariënwaerdt has been owned by the Van Verschuer family since 280 years. It has been in private possession ever since A.O.R.F. van Bylandt bought the estate in 1734. It belonged to the Van Bylandt family, the Van Balverns and, finally, the Van Verschuers family. The estate's borders have barely changed during this period. It is important to the family to maintain Mariënwaerdt as if, were their ancestors to return to the estate, they would immediately recognize it. Otto baron van Verschuer (1927) and his wife Catharina van Verschuer-Van Sminia (1927) are proud to see their son Frans and daughter-in-law Nathalie maintaining the estate.
History of Heerlijkheid Mariënwaerdt
The history of the Heerlijkheid Mariënwaerdt estate starts in 1129 when a Norbertijner abbey was founded on its grounds. The main building of this abbey was situated at 't Klooster, where nowadays the mansion of Mariënwaerdt is located. The abbey was located on an island surrounded by low lying land which was submerged under water for most of the time.
Count Van Bylandt bought the estate in 1734. He was the ancestor of the current owners, the Van Verschuer family. Van Bylandt built the mansion on the vaulted ceilings of the abbey. The borders of the estate have hardly changed ever since.
Baron and baroness Van Verschuer