Ciguiñuelas is a beautiful rustic estate with a house comprising 1500 m2. Some of the gardens are designed in the local style, allowing you to relax and unwind. The estate has an extensive diversity of wildlife and offers plenty of hunting possibilities.
History of Ciguiñuelas
In 1922 Ciguiñuelas estate was expanded by 12.000 Ha. The main use of the land was to grow cereal crops, cork trees, raise goats and to produce charcoal from oak, holm oak and heather wood. The estate belonged to the Marquis of Orellana, who sold it in 1947 to Mr. José Mª Tradacete (a pharmacist).
Around 1950 Mrs. Pilar Colón de Carvajal bought the estate and sold a part of it some years later. In 1960 Ciguiñuelas was bought by the company “Dehesa del Cerezo” who are the current owners. The estate is divided between the different associates of the company. In 1978 the estate reached its current size of 3.990 Ha.
Since then, a very comprehensive project has been undertaken in order to recover the original flora and fauna. The project included stopping the massive felling of trees for the production of charcoal and replacing this with a mandatory reforestation programme of indigenous species such as coniferous trees by the 1970’s.
Goat breeding was replaced by the breeding of game animals which enabled indigenous wildlife species to return to the area, which became a very important nature reserve. Cork is still produced at the estate and it is cut every ten years.