Castello di Bagnolo
Castello di Bagnolo Estate
The property around the fortress Castello Malingri is about 1000 years old with a forest, vineyards, fields and meadows and a well preserved landscape. Nowadays there remain some charming stone farms and watermills many of which have been restored into farm-apartments as agri-tourism holiday residences.
Points of great interest on this estate include the historic palazzo park, built around the end of the 17th century and redesigned at the beginning of the 19th century, as well as the botanical gardens.
Many beautiful frescoes dating from the 13th to 15th century can be found at the castello, the palazzo, the courtyard and in the extraordinary S. Sebastian Chapel. The estate also produces small quantities of excellent wines.
History of Castello di Bagnolo
Originally the Duchy of Savoy entrusted the fortress, which was important for its defensive position, to several noble families of Piedmont. But by the mid-13th century the d'Isola family, who came from the Savoire region, was entrusted the estate and remain here to this day.
The house of Malingri belonged to the earls of Bagnolo from 1410. The earls of Bagnolo were always faithful to the Duchy of Savoy and have defended the estate with honour for more than seven centuries.
The fortress, built entirely in stone with three lines of defence walls, was considered invincible. It was occupied only once, in 1664, by the army of the King of France. But thanks to a treaty, it was not attacked. The fortress played an important role at the end of Wold War II when it was used as a refuge for the partisans of the resistance in the fight against the Germans and Fascists.
The rural economy was never rich, but always sufficient to provide for the needs of the local people. Food and artefacts such as weapons, chariots, woodwork and fabrics were produced in the farms and mills.
From the 1960s to the present day, with the rural exodus to the cities and factories, agriculture itself almost disappeared. In the 1970’s the un-cultivated land was re-forested with the planting of around 60,000 trees. The meadows for sheep farming, some acres of cereal and a few acres of vineyards are all that remain today. The restoration of the old vineyards managed by Hilario Oreglia d’Isola, tourist activity such as visits to the park and the castle as well as hospitality available the restored farmhouses are all helping to maintain the precious monuments and the beautiful landscape.
The owner of the estate is Baroness Consolata d’Isola Solaroli who has been married to professor and architect, Baron Aimaro Oreglia d’Isola, since 1971. Much of her lifetime has been spent taking care of the park, the buildings (national monuments) and the rural property, owned by the family for over 7 centuries. They have two sons; Saverio and Hilario.
Signora Katia Ricca