Lütetsburg Castle, a symbol of East Frisia’s tradition and history, was rebuilt in its present form in the 1960’s after a devastating fire. Nowadays the castle has a deep moat, two towers and thick castle walls. The current building was built by architect Hans Heinrich von Oppeln on the 15th century old foundations. The family of Count zu Innhausen und Knyphausen have lived here for generations. Today, castle owner Count Tido zu Innhausen und Knyphausen (1972) and his wife Margareta zu Innhausen und Knyphausen – von Strantz (1977) live here with their four children. They have created a modern home with a feel-good atmosphere combining historic elements like armour with 60’s charm.
History of Schloss Lütetsburg
Schloss Lütetsburg estate has had an eventful history. The castle, first built in the Baroque Classicismstyle, was totally destroyed in a fire in 1893 which was triggered by a falling Christmas tree. Subsequently, the castle was rebuilt in the Neo-Renaissance style. During the Second World War heavy bombs fell on the castle grounds and the castle was badly damaged. In 1956, the castle was struck by fire again.
Prince Wilhelm Edzard zu Innhausen und Knyphausen then commissioned the architect Hans Heinrich von Oppeln to build today’s four-wing complex with two towers in a more modern style on the foundations of the previous buildings. Only the outer bailey and the east tower are preserved.